Honoring Our Veterans
American Water remains committed and takes great pride in creating meaningful opportunities for veterans and military spouses. We are also honored to provide reliable water and wastewater services to 14 million people across the U.S., including 17 military installations.
American Water is committed to hiring military talent and supporting veteran-owned businesses, knowing first-hand that it is not only the right thing to do, but the right thing for business. We partner with various organizations for insights to best practices and opportunities to increase our diverse candidate pools. Examples of partnerships include American Corporate Partners (ACP), Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP), among others. Additionally, we are honored to be recognized with several awards for our commitment to veterans and the military.
- 2022 Military Friendly® Top 10 Gold Employer, Top 10 Supplier Diversity and Top 10 Brand designations.
- For the fourth year in a row, recognized as Best For Vets: Employers by Military Times. We are also the only water and wastewater utility to be recognized with this distinction.
- 2021 VETS Indexes 3 Star Employer designation.
- 2021 U.S. Veterans Magazine: Best of the Best designation.
- 2020 Secretary of Defense Employer
Support Freedom Award
Mike Howard U.S. Marine
In 2020, our employees welcomed Senior Category Lead Mike Howard’s service dog to the building. Mike and Cooper have an incredible bond. Mike lives with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after serving in the U.S. Marines for eight years; Cooper helps give Mike the support and care he needs.